Since the 15th century, the invention period of the game of golf, thousands of changes have taken place in the rules and regulations, including the course design. The incredible thing about the changes in course design is the mini or miniature golf course. As the requirement of common space for building this tiny golf course, most Americans like to own it in their backyard. Besides, this small space of mini-course can provide every facility like a natural course. However, putting greens build on artificial turf with different moving obstacles can give an honest golf green feeling.
Besides, Backyard mini golf is an entertaining way to spend time with friends and family. It brings the excitement of a miniature golf course into the comfort of your backyard, allowing you to practice your putting skills and enjoy the great outdoors. Whether you’re looking for a new hobby or just a way to spice up your next BBQ, backyard mini-golf is a great option for all ages and skill levels. In this blog post, we’ll explore some tips and tricks for building your own backyard mini golf course, as well as some creative ideas for customizing it to make it uniquely yours. So, grab your putter, and let’s get started!
Table of Contents
- 1 Mini-golf Course
- 1.1 Types of the mini-golf course
- 1.2 Types of miniature golf course designs
- 1.3 Benefits of having a miniature course for playing golf
- 1.4 How To Build A Mini-Golf Course In your Backyard?
- 1.5 How much does it cost to build a mini-golf course?
- 1.6 FAQs
- 1.7 Turn Your Backyard Into A Mini-Golf Course
Mini-golf, also known as miniature golf or putt-putt, is a sport that is played on a small-scale golf course. The courses are typically designed with obstacles and challenges that players must navigate to get their golf ball into the hole in as few strokes as possible.
The courses usually feature a variety of different types of obstacles, such as windmills, water hazards, ramps, and other creative designs. Players use a miniature putter and a small ball to navigate the course.
Mini-golf is often played for recreational purposes, and it is a popular activity for families and groups of friends. It can be played indoors or outdoors, and many amusement parks, arcades, and other entertainment venues have mini-golf courses for their patrons to enjoy.
Generally, miniature golf is a scaled-down version of traditional golf, with a key difference being the shorter distance between the tee and the cup. Mini-golf course designers typically use a hole distance of around 10 yards when creating the course. The number of holes on a mini-golf course can vary depending on the available space, and designers can choose from 28 different categories of holes to establish their layout.
Typically, a standard mini-golf course will have nine holes, and the course can be constructed in a relatively small area of around 20-25 meters. This makes mini-golf an accessible and fun activity that can be enjoyed by people of all ages and skill levels. The course layout is an essential aspect of the game, and designers use a variety of obstacles, including windmills, ramps, and other creative structures, to provide players with a challenging and engaging experience.
Types of the mini-golf course
There are many different types of mini-golf courses, each with its unique design and style. Here are some of the most common types:
- Classic mini-golf: This is the traditional style of mini-golf course with obstacles such as windmills, bridges, and tunnels.
- Adventure mini-golf: This type of mini-golf course has a theme, such as a pirate or jungle theme, and the obstacles and course design reflect the theme.
- Glow-in-the-dark mini-golf: This course is played in a dark environment with neon colors and special lighting effects that create a glowing effect.
- Indoor mini-golf: This type of mini-golf course is played indoors, usually in an arcade or entertainment center.
- Portable mini-golf: Portable mini-golf courses are designed to be set up and taken down quickly, making them ideal for events and parties.
- Professional mini-golf: This type of mini-golf course is designed for serious players and is used for competitive play.
- Mini-golf resorts: These are full-scale mini-golf courses with multiple holes and elaborate designs that are designed to be a feature attraction at resorts and theme parks.
Each type of mini-golf course offers a different experience, and players can choose a course based on their preferences and skill levels.
Related: What is Top Golf?
Types of miniature golf course designs
The World Minigolf Sport Federation (WMF) has approved four types of miniature golf course designs. They are:
1. Beton or Bongni Course
In 1950, Paul Bongni first constructed this type of mini-course in Switzerland as he was a citizen of Switzerland, mainly found around Austria, South Germany, and Switzerland. However, now you will find this mini-golf course all over Europe. Beton is also known as concrete because the artificial turf is constructed in the concrete ground. Every playing golf course uses steel materials to build the cutting mat’s borders and 18 different obstacles set throughout the course area. The average length of the Bongni course track is around 10 to 12 meters. The most attractive feature is that players can practice putting while standing on the lanes. The building cost of this mini-golf course is comparatively high and needs more space than other types. Still, many clubs have this kind of mini-course. And, the recreational golfers love to practice on it because the course scenario looks too charming to them.
2. Eternite Course
Miniature golf courses are the most familiar all over the world. This artificial golf turf builds on a fiber cement base and requires more or less 600-800 square meters of area. There have 18 different categories of holes for setting on this specialized course. For the tournament miniature course, 18 spots include in the design, and the size of the mini-golf hole is pretty tiny than any other course used for playing golf. After that, golfers like to play on these courses because they get the holes more challenging than other mini-courses. The only drawback of this course is that it requires additional maintenance for starting play in the early spring. Besides, players can’t stand on it when they swing their clubs on the putting mats.
3. Felt Course
The felt courses are famous in Sweden and Finland. Because the surface feels like the natural grass of the playground, this mini-course is named regarded or felt. Yet, it was built first in Sweden, now felt become famous in all cities in Europe. This mini-golf course requires around 1000 to 1500 square meters to set up all necessary equipment for playing. The construction material, wood, is used to build its borders. Some holes are much longer comparing the miniature holes. That’s why beginners get difficulties while playing on it. But pro golfers enjoy the challenges while trying to send the ball into the longer holes. The 40 various types of spots can choose for the felt course, but all of them can’t use for tournament play. The course owner must inform the participants about the approved mini-golf hole for the competitions. Every year, many international tournaments arrange in the felt courses. The participants can stand on the lanes while striking the balls, but they can’t walk over the tracks. Besides, as the area is vast, there have more opportunities to make the landscape gorgeous for the golfers.
4. MOS or Minigolf Open Standard Course
Minigolf Open Standard (MOS) Courses are the most customary courses in North America and Great Britain. Generally, artificial grasses use for mini-courses. The MOS course has also been named The Adventure Golf and the Crazy Golf. In 2007, The WMF approved this mini-golf course to firm the federation status. This approval also helps to spread out the movement of the mini-golf all over the world. It also allows the WMF members to generate basic rules and regulations for their mini-courses with non-standardized golf tracks or lanes. The materials used to construct and construct the MOS courses, including the surface areas, frames, and obstacles approved by WMF. The construction materials and lane’s sizes and shapes are completely different from the other approved three types, concrete, miniature, and felt mini-golf courses.
The above four types of mini-golf courses belong to the permanent categories. With the modernization of the technologies, we get various innovative or angled pieces of equipment in the golf industry. You can quickly build a temporary mini-course in your backyard or office premises with that elements.
Related: Famous Gols Courses in the USA
Benefits of having a miniature course for playing golf
Living in today’s fast-paced world can take a toll on our mental health due to the stress of work and daily routines. Finding time for relaxation can be challenging, but many people enjoy playing golf as a recreational activity to rejuvenate their minds and bodies. If you are fortunate enough to have a backyard where you can set up a miniature golf course, you can take advantage of this opportunity to keep your mind fresh and energetic for any challenge that comes your way.
Playing golf can provide a welcome break from the demands of daily life, and having a miniature golf course in your backyard can be especially convenient. Not only can it provide a fun and engaging activity, but it can also help you stay active and healthy by getting you moving and engaged in physical activity.
If you don’t have the space for a backyard mini-golf course, there are still many options available to you. Miniature golf courses are a popular recreational activity and can be found in many areas, providing an opportunity to spend some leisure time with friends or family and recharge your batteries for the next few days.
There are several benefits to having a miniature golf course for playing golf:
- Accessibility: Miniature golf courses are designed to be fun and accessible for people of all ages and skill levels. They provide a way for people who may not have the time or resources to play traditional golf to enjoy the game in a more relaxed and casual setting.
- Socialization: Miniature golf is a social activity that can be enjoyed with friends, family, or even strangers. It is a great way to bond with others and enjoy a fun and lighthearted activity together.
- Skill development: While miniature golf is less challenging than traditional golf, it still requires skill and strategy to be successful. Playing miniature golf can help develop putting skills, hand-eye coordination, and strategic thinking.
- Physical activity: Miniature golf requires players to walk around the course, bend, and use their arms to putt the ball, providing a moderate level of physical activity that can be beneficial for overall health.
- Entertainment: Miniature golf courses often feature creative and whimsical designs that make the game more engaging and entertaining. They can provide a fun and exciting experience for players and can be a great source of entertainment for parties or events.
Besides, if you have a miniature golf course near you where you can easily spend some leisure time, keep you refreshed for the next few days — the advantages of having a mini-golf course state below.
- You will not compensate your working time for playing.
- It helps you to spend some quality time and refresh your mind.
- You can also take an opportunity to give quality time to your family, friends, and children.
- The mini-course allows your teens to make a habit of playing.
- You don’t need to follow golf etiquette while playing with friends or colleagues.
- Your children also help make the mini-course design and make it joyful for them.
- You can use any of your loving statues or dolls as obstacles.
- It is also an elegant place for entertaining the guests in your sweet home.
How To Build A Mini-Golf Course In your Backyard?
If you want to establish a tiny backyard course for playing golf, you don’t need to hire an architect. You can quickly make it following only three steps.
- Step-1: Planning
- Step-2: Designing
- Step-3: Implementation
Step-1: Miniature course plans
The perfect mini-course design entirely depends on the available space in your backyard. However, your budget is also a vital factor. So, at first, you have to make a detailed plan for building your miniature backyard golf ground like a business model. You can choose any building materials, cheap or expensive, for your tiny playground and give an ordinary or professional look. Everything ultimately depends on your choice. And, if you want to shift any obstacle or temporary things from the course area, you can do it at any time. Another essential aspect that should consider for the design is the type of mini-course. Because if you want to build it temporarily, your plan will be different from designing a permanent mini-course. Besides, the course type you decide to implement must suit your backyard pattern. So it would be best if you made your mini-golf course planning more carefully.
Step-2: Preparing A rough Sketch design for the backyard course
After deciding where you want to build your miniature course, it’s time to draw the rough design. When you apply your creative design of the mini-course, you may change a lot on it. So you don’t need to worry about the rough sketch. It is your backyard course. So, you can go with your own choice without any hesitation. Depending on the available space, you have to decide how many holes you want to dig for playing. The number of hole miniature significantly affects choosing the fun obstacles you want to keep on your “Ready To Play” course.
If you do not have enough space in your backyard, you can make a simple course plan. For this, you will not need more sophisticated materials. And, you can efficiently execute your course design without the help of a professional architect. But if you want to give a professional look to your mini-course, you have to add classy things like plants, the excellent spotlight, landscaping, sand trap, etc. You can also keep your children’s favorite cartoon characters as obstacles on the course design. For this advanced course design, you have to draw an elaborated sketch of it. To give a pro-level look to it, you can design for placing a windmill or mini castle on your course area.
Because you have to care about the quality of the construction materials you want to use for your art projects, you can show some of your creativity in designing to look like amusement parks. Besides, you have to decide where to collect all the necessary materials from the target market for executing the course plan. You can easily pick a one-holiday park theme like castle golf that suits your home ground and your emotional feeling for the game. There are also many themes for playground design like island theme, hunted castle theme, hilly landscape theme.
Step-3: Implement the final mini-course design
It is time to give a permanent look or structure to your expected miniature backyard course. For this, you have to collect all the required materials from the shop or traditional market near you. And gather other elements that already you have in your home. The materials needed for building your backyard course are –
- Miter Box
- Bricks and buckets
- Piece of plywood or wooden boards
- Rocks and tree branches
- Adhesive material or glue
- Tools for cutting the holes
If you plan to make a temporary course, you can use a small tin or container or composite baluster as holes. These small things help you to put your softball simply and very quickly. Besides, when you play in your temporary mini-course, you don’t need to use actual balls like professional playing. You can use any croquet or tennis balls as an alternative to golf balls. On the other hand, if you want to build a permanent mini-course for playing, you will require sophisticated building materials. You will also have to place them very carefully and artistically.
In this case, the felt-covered board or plywood is the best alternative to the natural grass of the fairway. Besides, if you want to give a sloppy figure of the holes, you can use woods and posts. Using powerful glue, you need to make a hole on the wooden board and attach PVC pipe fittings underneath the cutting area. You can also use circular piece artificial yoga mats or turfs for the course surface. However, it will be comparatively expensive than other surface materials, but you can set it if it is affordable to you. You will also have to maintain it very carefully. You can keep all your tiny equipment in the center of the store after completing the practice session. This initiative also helps you protect your sensitive accessories like putters’ balls. Finally, you can make a simple structure at the corners of your backyard for use as a storage space.
How much does it cost to build a mini-golf course?
We see four types of mini-golf courses available to play in the above discussion. If you want to go to these 18 holes miniature golf courses, you need to pay only around $5 for completing an 18 holes course.
But if you want to build a mini-golf course for business purposes, you require more or less $150 – $ 200 thousand for developing an 18-hole mini-course. However, you should follow the below ten mandatory steps to make your mini-golf venture a legal form to start the perfect golf business. These steps are –
- Make a design plan for your miniature golf course.
- Fill up the required form to get a legal entity of your business idea.
- Register for paying the taxes.
- Create a business bank account and collect credit cards.
- Make an accounting system to maintain the miniature-golf course business.
- Acquire necessary permits and licenses for running the business.
- Create an insurance plan for it.
- Give a brand name of your golf business.
- Create a website for the new brand name.
- Set up all necessary communication systems for your target customers.
After completing the legal processes to start the mini-golf course business, it’s time to figure out the expenditure to build up your mini-course. First, you have to decide about the area you will use to construct the new golf course.
Related: Why Is Golf So Expensive?
Generally, the total expanse depends on the land area, landscaping, topography, and exterior and interior course design decorations. The opening cost varies depending on the owner plan, but usually, it may be around $500,000. When we surveyed the professional group’s estimation, we found that you need about $15 to $30 thousand to get the land lease. After that, you have to spend more or less $100 to $140 thousand for preparing the land for giving the scenario of the golf course. To decorate the entire mini-course, you will require $200 thousand. Besides, you have to deposit $2,000-$4,000 for insurance, and $7,500 to $15,000 for architectural design format.
Moreover, to build perfect office etiquette, you will pay between $8 to $10 thousand with an additional budget to develop a sale system costing $7,500. You also have to pay around $4000 for legal and accounting fees and %15,000 for stocking necessary golf gear. At last, for the grand opening, you will require at least $9000 for excellent signage and about $12,000 for advertising the opening ceremony.
You think it is too expensive where your target customers are the golf-loving family members around the surroundings. And you can’t fix the customer fees more than $5 to $7 for playing the 18 holes. But the more surprising thing is that you can easily earn more than $100,000 in a year if you can make steady streaming of the golfers, and within a few years, as an owner, you can achieve a large amount of profit from your mini-golf course business.
How do I build a golf hole in my backyard?
Building a golf hole in your backyard can be a fun and rewarding project, but it does require some planning and effort. Here are some steps to help you get started:
- Choose a location: Pick a location in your backyard that has enough space to accommodate a golf hole, taking into account the length of your golf clubs and the distance you want to hit the ball.
- Design your hole: Decide on the design of your golf hole, including the size of the hole, the shape of the green, and any obstacles or hazards you want to include.
- Gather materials: You will need some materials to build your golf hole, including a flagstick, a hole cutter, turf or artificial grass, sand, and gravel.
- Prepare the ground: Prepare the ground where you want to place your golf hole by digging a hole that is the same size as the flagstick and filling it with sand and gravel.
- Install the flagstick: Place the flagstick in the hole, making sure it is secure and upright.
- Create the green: Create the green by covering the surrounding area with turf or artificial grass. You may also want to add some landscaping, such as rocks or plants, to enhance the look of your golf hole.
- Test your hole: Try out your golf hole by hitting some practice shots and making any necessary adjustments.
Remember to take safety precautions, such as wearing gloves and eye protection, when building your golf hole. Additionally, check with your local authorities to ensure that you are following any applicable regulations or permits needed for constructing a golf hole on your property.
Are small golf courses profitable?
Small golf courses, such as mini-golf courses or executive courses, can be profitable if they are well-designed, well-managed, and in a desirable location. The profitability of a small golf course will depend on a variety of factors, including the size of the course, the cost of construction and maintenance, the fees charged, the level of competition in the area, and the overall demand for golf in the local market.
One advantage of small golf courses is that they can often be built on smaller plots of land and require less investment upfront than a full-sized golf course. Additionally, small golf courses may be more accessible and affordable to a wider range of golfers, which can help to attract more customers.
However, to be profitable, small golf courses must be able to attract a steady stream of customers and generate sufficient revenue to cover their costs and turn a profit. This can be challenging, particularly if there is a lot of competition in the local market or if the course is not well-managed or marketed effectively.
Ultimately, the profitability of a small golf course will depend on a variety of factors, and careful planning, management, and marketing will be essential to its success.
What are mini golf holes made of?
Mini-golf holes are typically made of a variety of materials, depending on the design and style of the course. Here are some common materials used to create mini-golf holes:
- Turf or artificial grass: Many mini-golf courses use turf or artificial grass to create the putting surface for their holes. This material is durable, easy to maintain, and provides a consistent playing surface for golfers.
- Concrete: Some mini-golf courses use concrete to create their holes, particularly for courses that have more complex designs or features, such as water hazards or multi-level greens.
- Wood: Wood is another common material used to create mini-golf holes, particularly for courses that have a more natural or rustic theme. Wooden boards or planks can be used to create the walls and obstacles for each hole.
- Metal: Metal is often used for the framing and support structures of mini-golf holes, particularly for courses that have a more modern or industrial design.
Other materials: Mini-golf holes can also be made of a variety of other materials, such as plastic, foam, or even recycled materials like old tires or shipping containers. The choice of materials will depend on the design and style of the course, as well as the budget and resources available for construction.
Does indoor golf make money?
Indoor golf can be a profitable business if it is well-managed and marketed effectively. The profitability of an indoor golf facility will depend on a variety of factors, including the size and location of the facility, the cost of rent or lease, the cost of equipment and maintenance, and the fees charged to customers.
One advantage of indoor golf facilities is that they can operate year-round, regardless of weather conditions or seasonal fluctuations. This can help to attract a steady stream of customers and generate consistent revenue.
Indoor golf facilities can generate revenue in several ways, including:
- Hourly or daily rental fees for indoor hitting bays or simulators.
- Membership programs that offer discounted rates or exclusive access to the facility.
- Retail sales of golf equipment, apparel, and accessories.
- Food and beverage sales, such as a restaurant or bar.
- Hosting corporate events, parties, or golf leagues.
To be profitable, indoor golf facilities must be able to attract a steady stream of customers and generate sufficient revenue to cover their costs and turn a profit. This can be challenging, particularly in areas with a lot of competition or if the facility is not well-managed or marketed effectively.
Overall, the profitability of an indoor golf facility will depend on a variety of factors, and careful planning, management, and marketing will be essential to its success.
What material can I use to make a mini golf course?
Many materials can be used to create a mini-golf course, depending on your budget, design, and construction skills. Here are some common materials that are used to create mini-golf courses:
- Artificial turf: This is a popular choice for mini-golf courses, as it provides a consistent playing surface and requires minimal maintenance.
- Concrete: This is another popular option for mini-golf courses, particularly for courses with complex designs or multi-level greens.
- Wood: Wood can be used to create the walls and obstacles for each hole, giving the course a natural or rustic feel.
- Metal: Metal can be used for the framing and support structures of mini-golf holes, particularly for courses with a modern or industrial design.
- Plastic: Plastic can be used to create various obstacles and features on the course, such as ramps, tunnels, and loops.
- Foam: Foam can be used to create softer obstacles and features, such as rocks, logs, and waterfalls.
- Recycled materials: Recycled materials like old tires or shipping containers can also be used to create a unique and eco-friendly mini-golf course.
The choice of material will depend on your budget, design, and construction skills. For example, if you’re on a tight budget, you may want to consider using recycled materials or opting for a simpler design with fewer obstacles. On the other hand, if you have more resources and construction experience, you may want to experiment with different materials and create a more elaborate course.
What is the mini size of a golf course?
The mini size of a golf course, also known as a miniature golf course or mini-golf course, can vary in size and layout depending on the available space and the design of the course. However, typically mini-golf courses have holes that range in length from 6 to 20 feet (2 to 6 meters) and a total course length of 800 to 1,200 feet (240 to 365 meters).
A standard mini-golf course usually consists of 18 holes, although some courses may have more or fewer holes depending on the size of the course. The size and layout of each hole can vary widely, with obstacles like ramps, bridges, tunnels, and water features that make the game more challenging and interesting.
Mini-golf courses are designed to be playable by people of all ages and skill levels, and they provide a fun and accessible way for people to enjoy the game of golf without the time, expense, and physical demands of a full-size golf course.
Can I practice golf in my yard?
Yes, you can practice golf in your yard, provided you have enough space and take certain safety precautions. Here are some tips for practicing golf in your yard:
- Ensure you have a safe space: Make sure your yard is free of any hazards or obstacles, such as trees, bushes, or rocks, that could interfere with your swings or cause injuries.
- Use proper equipment: You’ll need a set of golf clubs and balls, as well as a practice net or target to aim at. You can also use practice aids like putting mats, chipping nets, or swing trainers to improve your technique.
- Consider noise and ball flight: Golf balls can travel a long distance and create noise, so make sure your yard is not near any neighbors or public areas where your shots could be a nuisance or a danger. You can also use foam or practice balls to minimize the risk of damage or injury.
- Practice with a purpose: Use your yard practice time to work on specific skills, such as putting, chipping, or full swings, and focus on your form and technique. You can also practice different shots, such as fades, draws, or pitches, to improve your versatility.
- Be mindful of your surroundings: If you have pets or children, make sure they are not in the yard while you are practicing, and always be aware of your surroundings and potential hazards.
Practicing golf in your yard can be a convenient and enjoyable way to improve your skills and stay active, but it’s important to do so safely and responsibly.
Is there any difference in the design between the standard golf course and the mini golf course?
Yes, there are significant differences in the design between a standard golf course and a mini-golf course. While both courses involve putting a ball into a hole, the design and layout of the courses are quite different.
Standard golf courses are typically designed to be challenging for experienced golfers. They often feature long fairways, bunkers, water hazards, and other obstacles that require strategic shot-making and a range of different clubs.
In contrast, mini-golf courses are designed to be fun and entertaining for people of all ages and skill levels. They often feature whimsical and creative obstacles, such as windmills, lighthouses, and other themed structures. These obstacles are designed to make the game more engaging and to provide players with a variety of different challenges.
Mini-golf courses may also have multiple levels or holes with different slopes, elevations, and angles to add to the challenge and variety of the game.
Overall, the design of a mini-golf course is focused on providing a fun and entertaining experience for players, while the design of a standard golf course is focused on providing a challenging and strategic test of skill for experienced golfers.
Turn Your Backyard Into A Mini-Golf Course
Building a mini-golf course can be a fun and rewarding project that can provide hours of entertainment for you and your family or friends. With careful planning and attention to detail, you can create a unique and challenging course that will test your golf skills and creativity. Whether you choose to build your course indoors or outdoors, using natural or synthetic materials, the possibilities for design and layout are endless. By following the steps outlined in this guide, you can create a mini-golf course that reflects your personality and style, and that will be enjoyed by players of all ages and abilities. So, grab your putter and get ready to tee off on your very own mini-golf adventure!
Besides, we think the information about the mini-golf course we put together in this article is enough for you to build it in your backyard. So it’s your time to execute your mini-course plan and make unlimited fun with your family, friends, and children. If you have more queries about golfing, you can willingly visit our website. You will get many amazing facts on our website that organize only for your assistance.