The electric golf cart requires batteries to start the engine and getting power to move. Even the gas-regulated golf cart needs at least one battery to start going to the golf course. However, the cart battery is different from a car’s battery, considering chemical composition, installation process, maintenance, and price tag. Besides, every golfer should choose their cart battery with care because various cost of golf cart batteries are available in the market. But all types are not suited to their requirement. Some of these batteries may be high-powered and expensive for their cart size. So before paying, every electric golf cart owner must gather some knowledge about the cart battery. That’s why here we describe almost all issues related to the cart battery, such as average price, size, and power, brands. So if you want to know the detail of a battery suitable for your golf cart, stay with us.
Table of Contents
- 1 Types of cart batteries
- 2 The golf cart battery price
- 3 Factors affecting the initial cost of golf cart batteries used for electric carts
- 4 How to choose the best-suited cart battery?
- 5 How long does a cart battery last?
- 6 When does the battery need to change or replace with a standard car battery?
- 7 How to maintain electric golf carts battery?
- 8 Which brands produce the best golf cart batteries?
- 9 How long do golf cart batteries last?
Types of cart batteries
Generally, two types of batteries are available for any cart engine. These two battery types are –
1. Lead Acid Batteries
This type of battery was first introduced by the Physicist Gaston Plante of French. The traditional lead-acid battery builds with low battery weight and low volume of energy. These batteries are also rechargeable. However, this battery’s high amount of ampere mostly gets in an expensive car engine, but it can easily suit a golf cart. Lead Acid batteries also have three forms. These are –
- Flooded Lead Acid
- Gel Lead Acid
- AGM Lead Acid
Most golf cart owners use the flooded type of batteries. Only some of them use gel or AGM batteries for driven their golf cart.
2. Lithium-Ion batteries
These batteries are comparatively new in the market but get popular quickly because of their exclusive but straightforward features. However, the price is slightly more than the lead-acid battery, and its rechargeable capacity is much better than another type. The key features of these high-quality batteries are –
- More durable. The charge cycles last 3 to 5 times more than a lead-acid battery.
- Quick rechargeable. It takes only one hour to get an 80% charge and 2-3 hrs for 100%.
- It does not lose power even at low voltage.
- It is also a maintenance-free battery.
- It does not need any extra watering or cleaning to prevent loss of power.
- It weighs 1/4th time lighter than a Sealed Lead-Acid battery.
The golf cart battery price
The upfront cost of a battery used in the golf cart varies for its power-generating capacity and the pack’s size. Usually, the price range varies from $800 to $2000 depending on the type of it. However, the accurate price is not so high. The owner must pay an extra charge for the expensive battery brands for the installation and maintenance cost. And, this issue makes a significant difference among the batteries used in the golf cart. According to the pack size and power, the price of a new set of cart batteries on below.
|PACK SIZE||POWER||PRICE RANGE|
|4-pack||12V & 150Ah||$1190-$3000|
|6V & 225Ah||$750-$800|
|6-pack||6V & 225Ah||Around $1300|
|8V & 170Ah||Around $1350|
|8-pack||6V & 225Ah||Around $1600|
Generally, cart battery manufacturers produce the battery with a 6V, 8V, and 12V form. Still, you get a lithium-ion battery having 48V. The best cart battery brand in the USA is The Trojan. The Trojan claims a broader price range from $200 to $1000 for a 6V battery. Another renowned brand, Costco, charges around $100 for a 6V, $111 for an 8V, and $4240 for a 12V. Depending on the voltage, the price of a cart battery is –
|BATTERY TYPE||VOLTAGE||AMPERAGE||PRICE RANGE|
Factors affecting the initial cost of golf cart batteries used for electric carts
Generally, a single battery is not sufficient for operating the cart. Golfers require a series of storms to generate enough voltage and amperage to run the engine. So depending on the requirement of voltage and amperage, the payable amount will vary for the cart owners. Except for the power, these are some facts that influence the overall investment for the cart battery. These are –
1. Shipping fees
If you purchase your cart battery from the shop near you, you will not pay any additional dollars as shipping costs for the battery company. But you place the order through an online or mail-order provider, and you must pay the claimed amount for the shipping charge.
2. Installation fees
As it is a power-producing device, everybody must install it with the help of a battery professional because any imperfect connection may cause a short circuit and lower its lifespan. Usually, the installation fees for a cart battery ranges from $10 to $50 according to the battery quality and professional’s experience.
3. Battery charger price
Depending on the battery quality, you have to take the best-quality proper charger. Most of the cart battery is rechargeable. Some producers include a charger with the main battery structure. But many of them don’t do it. In this case, you have to buy it separately. In general, the average price of a high-quality charger ranges from $100 to $250.
3. Brand value
The reputation of the manufacturer also influences the battery’s average cost. Because the reputed brands try to use high-quality materials to build up their battery structure. They offer a warranty for a certain period and a money-back guarantee for malfunctioning. That’s why the price of a branded battery is a little bit expensive than other local brands.
How to choose the best-suited cart battery?
Generally, the cart battery makes with 6V, 8V, and 12V power. Before buying your golf cart battery, you must check the acid battery pack for the volts per hole. Every battery has a specific number of acid holes in both row and column. And you should buy the perfect battery suit the procedure and provide the expected voltage and amperage when it needs to replace. In this case, you have to follow the table below to show the calculation for the required voltage to suit your golf cart. One thing must keep in mind is that each acid hole of the cart battery carries 2V. And, you should pick the battery design having acid holes not more than the required power for your caddy.
|NO OF HOLES PER ROW||NO OF COLUMN||ESTIMATED VOLTAGE|
|3||6||3 × 2 × 6 = 36V|
|4||6||4 × 2 × 6 = 48V|
|6||6||6 × 2 × 6 = 72V|
How long does a cart battery last?
All brands have their expectation about the lifespan of the manufactured cart battery. And they level the time on the battery pack. So while paying, you can quickly know how much time it will run. However, the battery life also depends on its maintenance process. If you properly maintain good health through proper care, it may last up to 6 years.
When does the battery need to change or replace with a standard car battery?
As every battery has limited working ability and time to produce sufficient power to run the cart, it will show some difficulties on current output while it becomes weak. So you have to notice the abnormalities that it offers while running. The signs which determine the time of average battery replacement are –
- It takes more time for recharging than the expected duration.
- It gives difficulty while passing small hillocks.
- It takes 2-3 sec or more for the acceleration.
- It gives problems to play advanced cart accessories like CD, radio, air conditioner in the cart.
- You start the golf round with the fully charged battery, but the cart stops after passing half of the 18-holes course area.
- The engine leaks the fuel.
- If you get the above abnormalities with your cart, then you must replace your cart battery.
Related: How to clean golf cart batteries?
How to maintain electric golf carts battery?
- If you want to keep your cart battery smoothly workable for an extended period, you can follow the below instructions.
- Clean the top of the battery regularly with a soft-bristle brush and a mild anti-corrosive solution, especially lithium batteries.
- Use only a cover for the lead-acid battery because the anti-corrosion materials may create a problem.
- Frequently check the battery cables to ensure that there has no chance of burnout of wires.
- Use the best-suited golf cart battery charger and plug it before the charge level goes down below 20%.
- Don’t unplug the battery before getting a complete charge.
- Never start recharging from the dead point of the battery charge.
- Never leave the battery unused for a long time.
- Put some amount of silicon paste at the terminal ends. It will prevent oxidation or wicking, which deteriorates the battery quality.
Which brands produce the best golf cart batteries?
Among hundreds of battery manufacturing companies, Trojan is a high-quality battery brand throughout the USA. Trojan batteries ensure the feature of build-in-diagnostics with reliable performance for both lead-acid and lithium battery technology. Besides, U.S. Battery, AGM Golf Battery, Deka Solar Battery, Lifeline Marine, AMS Tron, and V-Max Tanks are the popular battery manufacturer brands that ensure the best quality of their products. You can easily pick your golf car battery from any of these companies without any doubt.
How long do golf cart batteries last?
We think the information we state in the above discussion is enough for you to choose your best electric golf carts battery. However, you get only the price range of the deep cycle batteries having various power designs. But you can easily find out your expected type of battery as your cart’s requirement. And depending on your budget, you can easily pick the highest-quality product from famous brands. As the electric cart’s battery produces energy through the chemical reaction, you should choose the most OK battery pack best suited for your cart engine. Besides, you can follow the regular maintenance tips to keep your battery safe for a long time.